Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2017, 11:47:36 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:
Onionbat on Facebook
Onionbat on Google+
Onionbat on iBooks
Onionbat on Google Books
Onionbat on Kindle
Onionbat on Scribd

Search the full text of our books
+  Onionbat Message Board
|-+  Strategy Guides
| |-+  Disgaea Compilation
| | |-+  Disgaea Compilation info!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Disgaea Compilation info!  (Read 25404 times)
djpubba
Administrator
God of YaBB

Bloop-a-doodle, doo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2008, 11:56:27 PM »

I'll check your stats when I'm more awake but I think Makai Kingdom was more pages than that.

Are you looking for errors only or also additions? We've done more guides than those.
lendelin
Newb

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2008, 12:23:35 AM »

I'll check your stats when I'm more awake but I think Makai Kingdom was more pages than that.

Are you looking for errors only or also additions? We've done more guides than those.

Indeed! Makai Kingdom has 244 pages, not 214. (corrected it)

Damn, you're good if you discover such a typo when you're half awake! Smiley (and I'm a pretty good proof reader myself)

The list covers only the guides for PS2 RPGs. Did I miss any? Also not Genji, handheld games, or the newer Disgaea 3 and Operation Darkness.
djpubba
Administrator
God of YaBB

Bloop-a-doodle, doo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2008, 12:33:40 AM »

Ah yeah, that's all the PS2 RPGs unless you count the upcoming Persona 4 guide.
lendelin
Newb

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2008, 12:38:59 AM »

...and since I'm old and new here I have the annoying right to ask equally annoying and old questions. Smiley

I think I remember correctly that you are Tim Lindquist (djpubba). (?) Why didn't Doublejump make a guide for Growlanser Generations since the Doublejump guides are in the great tradition of the WD guides?

Wasn't a cooperation with Working Designs possible? I know that Victor Ireland had high standards when it came to guides, but your guides are in the same tradition with the same high quality than the WD guides.

After all, after the great success of your Disgaea guide (August 2003) there would have been enough time to publish a guide for Growlanser Generations which was released in December 2004.

It's just too bad that these games never got a guide in America.
djpubba
Administrator
God of YaBB

Bloop-a-doodle, doo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2008, 01:34:30 AM »

Yeah, that's me. We were going to do a guide for that game but it fell through.
lendelin
Newb

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2008, 11:56:58 AM »

Yeah, that's me. We were going to do a guide for that game but it fell through.

Good enough for me. Smiley

I want to thank you again for your prompt help with the guide list. I appreciate it!

I added the list of all published guides by Doublejump for PS2 RPGs (section 2.E.) to the following  list over at Digitalpress.

LINK: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73673

I think it is nice to have such a list because a) the guides by Doublejump are truly something special for everyone interested in RPGs....unless you're a gamer who suffers from  guide-a-phobia. (yep, those guys exist); and b) the number is remarkable in the meantime, 12 until now, soon 13 with the upcoming SMT Persona 4 guide.

Great quality with a love for details, and the book format for console games is unique in America. (in light of the guide by Brady for my favorite PS2 RPG, Dragon Quest VIII, the Doublejump guides shine even brighter. This guide fell short in many aspects, a game like this would have deserved one of your guides)

If Doublejump forum members are interested in PS2 RPGs (what an assumption Smiley ), look up the Digitalpress list given above. The list gives you the best overview of RPGs and is by far the best compact information on the web.

You find there
- the developer, publisher, and the release date for each game
- if a game got a published strategy guide
- a list of deluxe packages with content descriptions and pictures of the content
- a list of regular cases with extra content and pictures of the content,
- edition variants of the latter and how to distinguish them (with pictures)
- a list of games published as Greatest Hits
- the SLUS numbers (and their variations) for games in the special lists

...and then some more, including now a list of the Doublejump guides!

Great for collecting, and if you buy a used game you can make sure that everything is in there that's supposed to be there....even if it is something terribly important like the sticker sheet for Digimon World Data Squad. Smiley or actually something important like the two editions of Phantom Brave (one with a soundtrack CD) which have identical front covers and only slightly different back covers.

...and if you (like me) like to look at pictures of game collections, here is mine of the PS2 RPGs so far published, and yep, it's a bragging-rights-thread. Smiley

LINK: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113388
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 08:05:03 PM by lendelin » Logged
Biohazard Kitty
Special Tactics and Resizing Service
God of YaBB

Master of Resizing

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2008, 12:05:04 PM »

Such ... dedication. I am in awe.

Now, have you PLAYED them all? It would be interesting to approximate how many hours it would take you to play the entire set through to completion.

Edit: Rough estimate says 4 years and 290 days, at around 6 hours of playtime every day.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 12:10:59 PM by Biohazard Kitty » Logged

You should start from the first image, okay? And... Mitsuru, here's an image editor. It might be handy if you, the master of resizing, take it with you.
lendelin
Newb

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2008, 12:25:12 PM »

Such ... dedication. I am in awe.

Now, have you PLAYED them all? It would be interesting to approximate how many hours it would take you to play the entire set through to completion.

Edit: Rough estimate says 4 years and 290 days, at around 6 hours of playtime every day.

There you go, pretty impossible to play them all. Smiley Even worse:

I have around 1500 games from the NES times on for 15 different systems. I can't possibly play them all...and I'm among collectors a small fish. There are guys who have 5000, 10 000, and more games (among the more is the founder of Digitalpress, Joe Santulli) ... but I play a LOT. Smiley

I played around 25 of the PS2 RPGs (puts his head down in shame), I haven't played Nocturne or Disgaea yet (puts his head down even more in shame).

Your Q about playing and collecting is a common misperception. We love to collect because we love to play games, but that doesn't mean we have to play a lot of games in our collections. A game collection is like a library. The most important aspect is the number and quality of books available, ready to be used. You don't have to read them all which isn't only impossible, it is also not recommended. We have to be selective according to our interests.

One of the reasons we have game collections is increasing the options to play whatever you like whenever you like for different purposes -- just for fun, or in order to compare games of the same genre over time, or in order to compare various aspects of gameplay elements within one generation of games. The bigger the collection, the more options and possibilities you have.

What am I playing now when I turn on a game system? Disgaea 3? Nope. Or even Alundra which I still haven't played yet? Nope. I play Gran Turismo online. That's how bad it is. (yes, I'm truly ashamed) Smiley

lendelin
Newb

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2008, 09:23:40 PM »

The following is the final version of the guide list.

Among other changes I made a note about special attachments in the guides.

So far I noticed three books with special attachments: Phantom Brave and Makai Kingdom (two bookmarks) and SMT Nocturne (one fold-out poster, two bookmarks).

E. Strategy Guides by DoubleJump Books

01) Disgaea. Tim Lindquist, Iaian Ross, and Kitty. [Redmond, WA]: DoubleJump Books 2007, 2008. 272 Pages. Paperback. Book Format. Note: This is a compilation guide covering three games. “Disgaea: Hour of Darkness” for the PS2, “Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness” for the PSP, and “Disgaea DS” for the Nintendo DS.

02) Disgaea. Hour of Darkness. Tim Lindquist. [Redmond, WA]: DoubleJump Books 2003. 96 Pages. Paperback. Magazine Format.

03) Disgaea. Hour of Darkness. Special Edition. Tim Lindquist. [Redmond, WA]: DoubleJump Books 2003. 96 Pages. Paperback. Magazine Format. Note: This is a revised edition with new content and with higher quality paper than the first edition.

04) Disgaea 2. Cursed Memories. Iaian Ross, Kale Harbick, and Alicia Ashby. [Redmond, WA]:  DoubleJump Books 2006. 640 Pages. Paperback. Book Format.

05) Makai Kingdom. Chronicles of the Sacred Tome. Iaian Ross, Alicia Ashby, Kale Harbick, and Thomas Wilde. [Redmond, WA]:  DoubleJump Books 2005. 244 Pages. Paperback. Book Format. Special Attachments: Two Bookmarks.

06) Mana Khemia. Alchemists of Al-Revis. Alicia Ashby & Kitty. [Redmond, WA]:  DoubleJump Books 2008. 238 Pages. Paperback. Book Format.

07) Phantom Brave. Kale Harbick, Iaian Ross, and Thomas Wilde. [Redmond, WA]:  DoubleJump Books 2004. 244 Pages. Paperback. Book Format. Special Attachments: Two Bookmarks.

08) Rogue Galaxy. Iaian Ross, Kale Harbick, and Alicia Ashby. Roseville, CA; [Redmond, WA]:  Prima Games; DoubleJump Books 2006.  384 Pages. Paperback. Magazine Format. Note: The guide was co-published by Prima Games.

09) Shin Megami Tensei. Devil Summoner. Iaian Ross, Thomas Wilde, and Elizabeth Ellis. Roseville, CA; [Redmond, WA]:  Prima Games; DoubleJump Books 2006. 253 Pages. Paperback. Magazine Format. Note: The guide was co-published by Prima Games.

10) Shin Megami Tensei. Nocturne. [Anonymous]. [Redmond, WA]:  DoubleJump Books 2004. 388 Pages. Paperback. Book Format. Special Attachments: Two Bookmarks, One Fold-Out Poster. Note: The guide is a revised and expanded version of the Japanese guide by Enterbrain.

11) Shin Megami Tensei. Persona 3. Iaian Ross, Thomas Hindmarch, and Elizabeth Ellis. [Redmond, WA]:  DoubleJump Books 2007. 264 Pages. Paperback. Book Format.

12) Soul Nomad & The World Eaters. Limited Edition. Alicia Ashby, Iaian Ross, and Thomas Wilde. [Redmond, WA]:  DoubleJump Books 2007. 238 Pages. Paperback. Book Format.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 07:34:46 PM by lendelin » Logged
Goblin!
God of YaBB

I'm a video-game gun nut!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2008, 03:10:27 PM »

Have you ever considered printing "Collectors Edition" guides as hardback books?

Signature to come eventually...
djpubba
Administrator
God of YaBB

Bloop-a-doodle, doo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2008, 03:46:40 PM »

Of course! Smiley
mark0217
Newb

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2009, 12:02:17 AM »

I have a small question. WHy is this guide cheaper than the Afternoon of Darkness one, considering it has more content with the DS version info? I finally got enough cash to import the guides I've always wanted from you guys, and I would like to know beforehand Cheesy
djpubba
Administrator
God of YaBB

Bloop-a-doodle, doo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2009, 07:45:09 AM »

Because GameStop wouldn't take it at full price.
mark0217
Newb

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2009, 12:52:54 PM »

So it's not because it's missing info or has less detail, or is printed on a lower quality paper? Wow, I'm amazed.  Shocked
djpubba
Administrator
God of YaBB

Bloop-a-doodle, doo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2009, 01:47:56 PM »

No, not at all. It's got more info, corrected errata and better binding than AoD. We have a ton of inventory too, so every time someone orders AoD, we've been including DC free with their order.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length